Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Ricotta Gnocchi Pillows w/ Spring Veggies

These are very simple gnocchi to make, but they make for a substantial meal. Toss with any simple, fresh sauce to let their delicate flavor shine through.

Fed 2 adults and a child, with leftovers.

  1. I roasted a peeled, seeded, and cubed butternut squash (tossed in oil, salt, pepper, and sage) in a 425' oven while I did everything else.

  2. In a frying pan, I crisped 6 slices of bacon, which were cut into 1" squares. I removed the bacon and added a diced sweet onion, and let them caramelize while I stirred together the gnocchi batter. Then I added a cup of frozen peas and warmed them, and spooned all the veggies into a serving bowl before wiping the pan clean.

  3. For the gnocchi, I combined a couple of eggs, salt, pepper, a pinch of nutmeg, about a cup of grated Parmesan, and 1 lb ricotta. I gently stirred in 1 1/2 C flour, then covered my counter and hands in more flour (the dough is very wet and sticky). I scooped out half the mixture onto the counter and rolled gently into a 1" thick snake, then cut 1" pillows with a floured knife. I put the gnocchi on a floured sheet pan, and did the same with the rest of the batter. I put the tray in the freezer while I waited for a large pot of salted water to boil.

  4. My water was boiling, so I dropped half the gnocchi in, a few at a time. When they rose to the surface, I cooked them about 5 minutes more (these are big, wet gnocchi and need extra cooking time). At this point, I also put 1/2 a stick of butter in the veggie pan for about 6 minutes, until brown.

  5. When the gnocchi were done, I tossed them in the browned butter and then scooped them in a serving dish. I repeated the process with the rest of the gnocchi, then topped it all with the veggies. I drizzled over the remaining butter and topped it all with some more freshly grated Parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'm new at this, and I really want to know. Later on, when I've done it for awhile, you can take your comments and shove them. But for now...