Sunday, August 29, 2010

8.29: This Week in Food

Menu
  • Sunday: butternut squash soup / turkey sandwich
  • Monday: black bean burger / sweet potato fries
  • Tuesday: scrambled eggs / bacon / toast
  • Wednesday: steak tacos / refritos
  • Thursday: night of shame (aka, Take Out Night)
  • Friday: grilled mahi / green beans / brown rice
Grocery total: $80 (rounded up, not including household items and kid-lunch food)


Thoughts: I spent more than intended at the grocery store, but we were out of a lot of staples, like milk, eggs, and beans; also, I bought a few things that I forgot we already had, like canned chipotles. (1)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

(1) Seriously, chipotles are my Derrida Item--I "always already" have them, but I buy them every time I'm at the store. As my family well knows, my grandmother's Derrida Item is Jell-O. Mine used to be coconut milk, and said Item's supplanting by chipotle peppers is an interesting snapshot of the globally-southward migration of my meal preferences.

2 comments:

  1. OK - three posts already and not a single recipe! Let's get to it - I'm hungry and too far away to go back to Red Mesa.

    And the challenge for next week - reproduce "habenero banana butter" - a sauce for fish that is truly Godly (sorry, but had to capitalize). Served at the Azure Restaurant - Shore Resort and Spa - Daytona Beach (just in case someone knows the chef).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the previous comment; not a recipe every week (shouldn't be a chore). An occasional peek into your recipe file would be well received!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. I'm new at this, and I really want to know. Later on, when I've done it for awhile, you can take your comments and shove them. But for now...